Desirable original 2.5 x 4 carte-de-visite three-quarter length portrait of Grant in military dress by Henszey & Co., signed at the bottom of the image in black ink, “U. S. Grant, Lt. Gen. U.S.A.” and inscribed in an unknown hand on the reverse, “for Miss Dixon.” Printed text on the reverse reads: “Henszey & Co., Photographers, 812 Arch Street, Philadelphia.”
Light soiling to the top, light silvering to dark areas of the image, and a trivial pencil notation to the reverse, otherwise fine condition.
President Lincoln promoted Grant to the rank of lieutenant general on March 10, 1864, joining George Washington and Winfield Scott as the only officers to hold the rank up until that point. He held the position until 1869, when he took office as president. As such, Grant’s signature as lieutenant general dates this this carte-de-visite to the late 1860s.